Saturday, July 10, 2010

Master Chef Night 3 - 3/07/10


Owz decided to have another crack at cooking as he enjoyed it so much last week - so who was I to get in the way of a man who wants to cook me food?
This week he cooked...

Fennel, Orange and Apple Salad with BBQ Marinated Prawns

12 green king prawns, peeled and deveined, tails left intact
1 lemon, zest finely grated
½ tsp chilli, finely diced

2 tbs olive oil


For the vinaigrette

1 tbs Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbs honey
1 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tbs lemon juice
½ lemon, zest finely grated


For the salad
2 celery hearts, finely sliced
1 baby fennel bulb, very finely sliced, fronds reserved
3 oranges, peeled and segmented
2 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into matchsticks
½ bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped


Method
1. Place the prawns in a large bowl and combine with the lemon, chilli, olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
2. Meanwhile, whisk all of the vinaigrette ingredients together with a pinch of salt and pepper, then set aside.
3. Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat and cook the prawns for 1-2 minutes each side or until just cooked through.
5. Add 1/3 cup of the dressing to the salad and toss to coat.
6. To serve, divide dressed salad and prawns between serving plates. Drizzle each plate with a little extra dressing and scatter over fennel fronds.

Serves 4


Verdict...


I have to confess I was a bit skeptical of this one... I'm not a huge prawn fan... and I'm not especially fond of fennel, however I am more than happy to give anything a go.


I'm happy to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The salad was divine - individually all the elements of the salad were average, but together they created this fantastic medley of flavours that complemented each other beautifully.


Owz did a an amazing job with prawns and I have to say they were probably the nicest prawns I have ever tasted, they weren't rubbery at all, they have even given me a bit of a hankering for more!


Overall I loved this dish, and would definitely have it again - especially if it is cooked for me! I'm pretty sure that makes it taste just a little bit nicer every time.


No comments:

Post a Comment